For this week's Monday night dinner I made a super easy, leave-it in the oven beef pot roast. Here's what you need :-
1.5-1.8 kg ribeye/sirloin rolled beef
Mustard powder (2-3 tbsp)
Paprika (2-3 tbsp)
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Carrots (2/large/cut into chunks)
Celery (2/large/cut into chunks)
Onions (4/large/cut into chunks)
Olive Oil (2-3 tbsp)
625 ml beef stock
Stewed Tomatoes (1 can)
* Drizzle Carrots, Celery, Onions and Garlic in B with olive oil and season with salt then roast for 15 mins @ 170c oven.
* Marinate A. (Do this the night before)
* Heat about 3-4 tbsp of oil in shallow pan, brown the meat on all sides. This will take no more than 10 mins. This step is just to seal in the juices and not to cook the meat.
* Once the meat is browned. Set aside. Using the same oil, sautee the onions and garlic in C, then add the stewed tomatoes and lastly, add the beef stock.
* Arrange the roasted vegies in a large, deep roasting pan (must be large and deep enough to contain the liquid), place the beef on top, pour beef stock over.
* Cover with aluminium foil.
* Roast slowly for 2-21/2 hours at 165c. If you want the top of your pot-roasted beef to be crispy, remove foil 10 minutes before time, increase temperature to 180c and let brown for about 8-10 mins.
(picture courtesy of Google Images)
Once done, your Beef PotRoast should look like this. Let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.
To make nice brown gravy, strain the liquid in the roasting dish thru a strainer. Then take about 2-3 tbsp of butter, melt it and add 2-3 tbsp of plain flour to make a thick'ish paste. Add the strained liquid. Stir until a gravylike consistency is achieved.
Carve the roasted beef into nice thick slices.
Serve with the homemade brown gravy
Creamy Dijon Mustard and Sour Cream Potato Salad
Quick Sundried Tomatoes Aglio Olio Spaghetti
* A special extra..as appetiser...
Homemade quesadillas with tomato salsa, minced beef, cheese
served with sourcream and sweet relish