It was my sister's birthday dinner tonight.
I made Roast Beef + Gravy, Mashed Potatoes,
Sauteed Mushroom and Coleslaw.
Here's my method for a for-sure-jadi Roast Beef...
What you need :
(for 10-12 pax)
- 1.5 kg rolled rib-eye
- Large ziplock bag
- Coarse Black Pepper
- Brown Sugar
- Dried Mixed Herbs
- Celery (2 sticks)
- Carrot (2)
- Red, Yellow & Green Capsicums (1 of each)
What you need to do 12-24 hours before roasting :
- Marinate the roll of beef with the salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika and dried mixed herbs in the ziplock bag.
- Chill in the fridge (not freezer) until roasting time
30 minutes before roasting :
- Cut the celery, carrots and capsicums into chunks.
- Arrange in a large roasting dish (9' x 13')
- Drizzle with some olive oil/sunflower oil
- Set aside
15 minutes before roasting :
- Preheat oven @ 190c
- Take out marinated beef from the fridge.
- Place beef on the bed of chunky vegies.
- At the end of 15 minutes, place the roasting dish (with the beef in it) in the oven.
Roasting time :
General rule - 30 minutes for every 500 gms
Therefore for a 1.5 kg roll of beef
= 90 minutes (for medium doneness)
add 10 minutes (for medium-to-well)
add 5 more minutes (for well done)
- cover the roasting dish with foil after taking it out of the oven
- REST the beef after roasting time ! at least 30-45 minutes
After resting time, slice beef thinly, serve with gravy, mashed potatoes,
sauteed mushroom and coleslaw..
and that is how Roast Beef is made and enjoyed
at my house..