(PICTURE TAKEN FROM BBC GOOD FOOD WEBSITE)
I tried this recipe last night and the outcome looks exactly like the picture above !
(Extracted from BBC Good Food)
> 1.6-2 kg whole chicken
> 1 kg roasting potatoes, half or quartered (whatever that suits your family)
> 2 whole garlic heads - halved
> 3 whole onions - quartered
> 4 celeries - cut into 2" in length
> 2 large carrots - cut into 2" length then halved
> 300 ml chicken stock
> 2 stems of rosemary
> 6 bay leaves
> 1 lemon, cut into wedges (optional, omit if you do not like the sour'ish lemony taste)
> Butter for greasing
- Heat oven to 160c/fan.
- In a large roasting dish or roasting stock pot, place the potatoes, celeries, carrots, onions, garlic and 1-2 pieces of the lemons. Add also the herbs.
- Pat dry chicken with kitchen towel.
- Stuff chicken with balance of lemon pieces.
- Brush generously softened butter (this will give you a nice and golden colour) on chicken, sprinkle salt + pepper.
- Place chicken on the assorted veggies + onions etc.
- Add chicken stock
Roasting Instructions :
~ Pre-heat oven to *160C/Fan.
~ Loosely cover the roasting.
~ Cook for 1 hour.
~ After 1 hour, remove cover, brush a bit more butter on the chicken then bake uncovered for another 30-40 mins (depending on how crispy and golden you want your chicken to be).
~ Once the desired is obtained, remove chicken from oven, loosely cover with foil and let rest for 30 mins before carving.
* Note :
The heat differs from oven to oven, therefore check the doneness of the chicken by pricking the thickest part of the chicken..and if clear juice flows out..the chicken is done.